Monday, 14 November 2011

Breyer Mule from Start to Finish

I obtained this mule body in a trade for a commission and I was excited that I could research into what a mule is and to do a custom. She came to me in a standard body condition and I thought this was great, as minimal work was needed! So off came her logo, and I suddenly realised that her hooves were whole and didn't have frogs etc... As well as her ears. So I decided to, for the first proper time with the dremel, to carve these out!!





It turned out quite well and after sanding her body, she was ready to be primed and painted. I used grey primer for this, I decided to give the grey a go as I have been so used to white primer (I used to pastel my model horses so a white primer base coat is necessary, however when a white base coat is not required and you are using acrylics, might as well use grey!) and then I started to paint! The burnt umber went on first, before I added dapples and shading etc.


And soon the mule was done! All that was left was to add the mohair on the tail...




Now I read when I researched (with the help of some fellow hobbyists who found some useful websites for me!) that as a military tradition, mules' tails were shaven and then had bells from their hair in their tails to mark how trained they were. As Breyer's Mule model seems to be fairly laid back and standard, I went for the three bells, the maximum bells a mule can have; the three bells imply that the mule has had full training and is able to do certain things.

So, after adding the mohair to the tail, I classed her as done... So meet my latest piece! She is unnamed and will be for sale in the near future. If you are interested, get in touch!






I hope you enjoyed following this mule's journey as she was reborn! Over the next few days I will also have more photos coming of the projects I worked on when I went home. :-)

Clare

Thursday, 10 November 2011

Awaiting Approval...

Unfortunately these photos do not do the horses justice, but I just sent these photos to the owners to see if I am heading in the right direction for them...

First up, the Bronte resin:


And the first Strapless:


Lets see what they say... :)

Clare

Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Project Pictures

More are to come in due course, along with detailed descriptions and whatnot, but here are photos of all of my projects, including those for customers (I do not usually post these publicly but I am only posting images and nothing more! Mainly for the customers privacy...)

First up, Sheba Body here with the paintwork finished and awaiting tail hair:


Bronte Resin fully prepped at this stage:


Weather Girl in progress...


Don't even ask about this one... Man O War's body and a resculpted FAM head!! Do not know where this one is heading, more of a fun project really that could well take its time... I have plenty more photos of this one in progress which will come shortly once I make a proper post about her. All conformation may loook dodgy right now but I am working on it, so not looking for crit yet!:


I also have two Strapless bodies... Here is one:


I hope you enjoyed looking through these photos!

My Winning Boy

Here is the photo of the Nokota with his winnings, courtesy of Bel Kranz:




I am very proud!

Clare

Down Under Nationals

I was ecstatic to see on Facebook this morning that my good friend in Australia attended DUN in Australia over the weekend, and it turns out this fella went along!


It turns out he got an overall Champion in the Ferals!! I am so proud, I painted him back in 2009. :) I shared the photo on Facebook of him with his rosette and will ask if I can have permission to use the photo at a later date. yay!

As for in the studio, I have a LOT going, on, stay tuned for photos to come in due course! Unfortunately I left my camera cable back at uni so the majority of the WIP photos have to wait... So perhaps I will wait until I can put it all in order. :)

Clare