Thursday, 24 May 2012

Maskol Magic

I had a commission to complete for a customer and they were after a lovely appaloosa horse, which looked almost like a mosaic colour the way his appaloosa colouring was in blocks over his bay body.

I didn’t follow the pattern 100% so it isn’t an official portrait but the horse I painted was very similar to the colour there. In order to get those blocks of white, I used something called Maskol, a purple liquid that binds to the horse and easily peels off once dry. The horse I used was a Breyer Strapless:
I applied the maskol to the areas of the body where I wanted no paint to go, so it would be white:
It looks quite funny having a purple and white horse!
And then I started to paint her bay like normal. I didn’t paint her all over completely because I didn’t have to, I had huge blocks of white and this is a traditional model, so it is a lot bigger. However if you are doing an overo horse or something on a stablemate then you just paint everywhere and then peel off the maskol.
I then began to peel it off... This is the fun and exciting part! Here I am peeling it off the nose:
This is it coming up from the hoof:
As you can see here, it is a lot clearer where the white patches are now! It looks a bit messy and this was my fault when applying the maskol, you are meant to apply it in a thicker layer but because the white patches aren’t going to be 100% white, and I am going to be playing with the edges of the bay and white colour, I don’t mind so much!
Here is the strapless with all of the white now visible:
After some detailing and adding in all the spots, this is now what the Strapless looks like. Unfortunately, she still isn't finished but the owner is pleased with her so far and, when I return back home and to my studio, I plan on completing her as soon as I can. I can only thank all of my customers for their patience at this time!

Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Sweet Lullaby and Very Little One

If you were ever in doubt about buying this pair... Just do it! Kelly has done a fantastic job on both of them. I hear the foal is almost sold out, too!
The foal is slightly bigger than my largest micro mini, just over an inch long. That is how small he is!
And the mother, she is so beautiful. I ordered a raw casting as I am used to heavily prepping models, but the mare is so smooth and most of the hard work has been done for me, so prepping her will be a piece of cake for me.
The colours I have in mind are a lovely fleabitten grey for the mare, and a baby bay colour for the little one. I am so excited and I can't wait to paint them!

Friday, 11 May 2012

Todd by KNC Studios

I was delighted to see that KNC Studios had recently completed a Todd medallion of mine, and he is currently on MH$P! I have been given permission to use the photos which I am delighted about, so I am able to share with everyone.
Isn't he lovely?!


Monday, 7 May 2012

Updated to-do list

Just updated my list of the customs I need to get done... It is ridiculously long! I am not entirely sure how I am going to tackle it, but I am assuming I am going to have to just plough my way through them slowly... But hey, I have all summer to get them done! It shouldn't take long...
There are a whole bunch of stablemates that aren't even on that list too... They are in a sorry state, some have legs missing and are in desperate need of a new lease of life! I hope I can work my magic on them.


Friday, 4 May 2012

Progress on Bailadito

I haven't blogged in a few days so I thought I would share pictures of my sculpture who is up and coming. I have worked on his facial structure more and he has ears! I plan on doing bits every now and then but I am revising for exams right now, and I think I will be making a waste mould around July time so I can then finish him off!
He is getting very rough, which means the sooner I do the waste casting the better. He will then need a great deal of sanding and his legs refined, along with a mane and tail being added.