Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Changes to Hamlet

Hamlet has come along really well but there were still some things bugging me about him. To me he looked more pony-like than what he is meant to be; a heavyweight cob. Some things about his conformation were bugging me as well so it became the time where I print out pictures of him and try to depict what is exactly wrong.

To help identify the problems, it is always good to look with a fresh pair of eyes. For this reason I like to put my sculpture down for a good few days and try not to think about it, and then come back to it. This usually helps enormously. Another trick I have learnt is to hold the sculpture up to a mirror, where he is back-to-front. This is like looking at an entirely different piece and you are able to detect faults more easily. Reversing the sculpture can also be done with images and this is what I do when I print them off to draw and annotate on.
This image is where I have downloaded it, changed the contrasts so I see things a bit better, and I have flipped the image too. I did this to both sides of the sculpture. I then printed it off onto one sheet of paper and I got my trusty book out on horse anatomy and muscles. This book I have blogged about before and it helped me with my Spanish sculpture, Bailadito.

There is a great deal of things I wished to change after printing the images off. For a start, the near fore shoulder is still giving me grief and I think I have worked out that it just isn’t bulky enough for what I want. This is the same for the hindquarters. With the hindquarters, however, I had incorrectly done the bone structure somewhat; this caused the hind to not be as full or big as it is meant to be, as I hadn’t had the right point of buttocks, and the tail bone was too low set. Now that I have realised this, these changes should especially make all the difference in the world and help a great deal. The line of the spine I drew onto the sculpture and this passes through the very top of the horse and above the hip, and this is where I went wrong before.

His back may be the correct length after all. I am expecting it to be, because I did measure it and it measured up fine against a cob horse in my breed book. Cobs tend to have shorter, stronger backs and instead of being a ‘standard’ measurement of another horse (such as a thoroughbred or andalusian) it does seem shorter and doesn’t measure up like the others. I will see how Hamlet progresses though, as if he is not pleasing to the eye and measurements always change when sculpting, I may have to lengthen it anyway.

I still need to measure his legs in these photos (this is what he currently looks like now) but there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel and it is exciting that I am thinking about his waste mould now!
Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment