Tuesday, 24 June 2014

New Medallion - Tanoka

This medallion has been in my mind for a couple of months now, after seeing a beautiful image while browsing Pinterest.


Pinterest is such a good place for finding inspiration!

Not based off this image 100% (for copyright reasons) and due to inspiration from Tanoka, my old Spanish horse, I decided to recreate him in medallion form. 1 to 2 hours in, he was *roughly* starting to take shape.


I drew my design on a piece of paper roughly to see if it would work (what you can see there on the white is the mane blocked in with pencil!) and then I got sculpting. After 3 to 4 hours, he was taking more shape.


At this stage, I blocked in the mane there and placed a vein roughly on his face to see where he was heading. The mane helped me to visualise the medallion. Usually the details such as the mane and other details are added on at the end but I kept the mane and forelock on and it has helped massively.

5 hours in, he was taking more shape.


And 6.5 hours or so later, details are being added. Areas are still incredibly rough and need to be smoothed but he isn't far away from being 100% finished. I can't believe how quick he has progressed!


I have already received a great deal of interest for this chap! Edition-wise he will probably be the same as Todd and Gallega (approximately 30 copies in resin) but the good news is that he will be cheaper than Gallega and Todd were - AND he is bigger! He measures approximately 10cm from the bottom to the top, so he will be of greater value.

My original aim was to have him finished by the Utterly Horses Hullabaloo, but he has come along so fast. A week on Thursday I am jetting off to the States for a month (eee!) so maybe I will get him finished before then and leave him to 'rest' for a month so I can see him with fresh eyes when I return. Then, I can cast the edition over August.

This is all what I have planned, anyway!

Exciting times!

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment