Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Pewter Micro Models... Part Three - The Second Mould

After the success with Peridot and my first two good pewter castings, I decided to clay up Topaz and have a go at seeing if I could produce models of her as well.

Having made her mould, I had a go casting... And out came this nasty, bubbly thing...

After some quick research, I discovered that this process can occur when the mould 'sweats' and can easily be cured with talc. So I had to give it a go! And the result was perfect.

Again, the mould isn't perfect. Although I learnt a lot with moulding Peridot, as it happens I know what I need to do for Garnet's mould. I also know that at some point, I will be making more moulds in the near future, probably for these same models!

While I thought that having the base at the top of the mould would be a good move, it turns out to be the contrary. I have had to use apoxie sculpt on the bases in order to make them flat and to get the arabian to stand properly. Oh well, I know for next time!

I cast some more of each, and now I have three of both models.

The response I have had on these models has been great though, thank you so much. It really means a lot! These models will not be released until June, the last week in May at the absolute earliest. This is because I am in the middle of studying for my finals in Pharmacy, my exams are in May and I also shoot off to Canada to visit a friend for a week. I can't wait!

But I don't want to release them and have orders piling up when I can't do anything about it. I would rather keep casting and plugging away and when I have a lot of models, I can then 'open' their editions for people to purchase and they can get their mits on them right away without having to wait too long, hopefully.

I hope that makes sense! I need to get on with Garnet's mould now. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment