Monday, 11 April 2016

Moulding Störm - the ups and downs!

First of all, before I start this post, I just want to apologise for the poor quality images... Many of these photos were taken in a rush and on my phone while I was casting and mould making, so they aren't the best I'm afraid!

I started moulding my Icelandic Horse sculpture a couple of months ago now, using a skin mould that I painted on in layers before creating a shell to hold it in place. I then would cut out the clay model and pour the resin into the mould that was put together. Sounds easy, right?


Wrong!

The poor clay original... Oops!
As you can see, it took quite a bit of wrestling to get the clay original out of the mould I had created! It had all started well with painting the mould on layer by layer, I just made some mistakes that I know not to do for next time.

The first mould layer painted on. 
Because the model I was intending to mould is quite complicated, i.e. there are many legs and different areas for sprues, it made it hard to make sure I was filling in enough gaps with the silica materials and when I was cutting him out. I was 80% there, unfortunately there were some bits that did require more filling, and had I done that I perhaps would have had a more successful casting to work with.

This was probably the third layer in...

The shell being held together before casting!
Needless to say, this was the first attempt. I ended up having to purchase more resin! The only reason this one failed was because I was completely unaware of how quick the resin took to set! As I was pouring the colour turned suddenly, meaning it hardened from that point and I was stuck. So, a whole batch was wasted.

... A bit of an odd looking model!
This meant that my schedule was pushed back while I waited for the next batch of resin. The next time round, I made sure I selected resin that had a longer pot life, to give me the time to thoroughly mix it and pour it into the mould without any problems...

But I still had some! Unfortunately because the mould wasn't the best as explained above, it was difficult to piece together and place into the shell parts. The casting I achieved, although 80% of the horse came out, only had 2.5 of his legs!


However, all is not lost. I was used to this after my Azucena attempt at casting! However, this time round I didn't require three attempts, nor did I lose hundreds of pounds in the process, nor did it take me over a month to get sorted. So, things have improved for sure!

I am also pleased to say that, sculpting these legs the second time around, I think I have done a much better job with details and shapes. This photo is a progress shot of them being sculpted on, but you get the idea...


He has progressed since this image, he now has all four hooves and can stand (hurrah!) I still need to do lots of prepping, especially in his groin area (which I am not looking forward to...) and I need to finish off the off fore.

Thank you for letting me share his journey so far! Everything is still going well and I will finish him off to the best quality.

Clare

Monday, 4 April 2016

In the Body Box...

Over the past few weeks I have slowly been collecting a vast array of Breyer Traditionals for me to eventually get round and paint once I am back in the Studio. This won't be until the Summer time at the absolute earliest, but it did take me by surprise when I realised just how many models I had to paint!


I have colour ideas for a lot of them... But if anyone wants to suggest any, feel free!

Clare